1 lb. chicken cut into thin strips-2tbs sesame seeds-1tbs sesame oil-2tbs vegetable oil-5 ounces small mushrooms cut in quarters-1 green pepper cut into strips-4 scallions chopped.
Marinade:2tsp cornstarch-2tbs dry sherry-1tbs lemon juice-dash Tabasco sauce-2tbs grated ginger root-1 clove garlic crushed.
Method:In a bowl combine the marinade ingredients to blend.Add chicken and let marinate 3-4 hours in the refrigerator.Put the sesame seeds in a wok or fry pan and dry-fry till golden brown,set aside.Heat wok,add sesame and vegetable oil.Drain the chicken,reserving the marinade.Stir-fry chicken until browned.Remove with slotted spoon,set aside.Add the mushrooms and green pepper,stir-fry 2-3 minutes.Add scallions and stir-fry 1 minute more.Return the chicken to the wok,add the reserved marinade,stir over medium heat for 2 minutes more to evenly coat all ingredient.Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top .serve over rice.
NOTE:You can also make this dish using 1 lb. shrimp or beef.
1 lb.skinned boneless chiken breast MARINADE:1/4tsp salt-1/8tsp pepper-1tsp cornstarch-1tbs soy sauce-1 egg white
1 cup oil-6 slices ginger-3 scallions cut into 1 inch pieces-1 green pepper sliced into 1 inch pieces-1/2 cop diced bamboo shots.SEASONING SAUCE:1tbs rice vinegar 2tbs soy sauce-1tbs dry sherry-1/2tsp salt-1tsp sugar-1/2tsp cornstarch-1/3 crisp almonds,see note at end.
Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes.Mix marinade,add chicken, mix welland let stand for 30 minutes.Heat oil in wok,add chiken and stir-fry 30 seconds till lightly browned..Remove,drain and set aside.Remove all but 2tbs of oil from wok.Reheat oil,add ginger and stir-fry 30 seconds,remove.Add scallions green pepper and bamboo shots.Stir-fry 3-4 minutes till crisp-tender.Combine marinade ingedients;mix well and add to wok.Bring to a boil..Add chicken to boiling sauce and stir till coated.Add almonds.Makes 4 servings.
CRISP ALMONDS:4 cups oil-1 cup blanched almonds.
Heat oil to 350*.Add nuts and stir 2-3 minutes until golden brown.Remove and drain.Let stand 5 minutes before using.
KUNG PAO CHICKEN
1 112 cups water
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 cup packed dark brown sugar 113 cup rice vinegar
2 112 tablespoons soy sauce
114 cup plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice 1 teaspoon minced water chestnuts 112 teaspoon minced fresh ginger 114 teaspoon minced garlic
1 rounded teaspoon chopped green onion 114 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 5 teaspoons corn starch 2 teaspoons arrowroot
4 chicken breast fillets 1 cup ice water 1 egg
114 teaspoon baking soda 114 teaspoon salt
1 112 cups unsifted cake flour
2-4 cups vegetable oil
1. Combine all of the sauce ingredients -except the corn starch and arrowroot --in a small saucepan over high heat. Stir often while bringing mixture to a boil. When sauce reaches a boil, remove it from heat and allow it to cool a bit, uncovered. 2. Slice chicken breasts into bite-size chunks. Remove exactly 1 cup of the marinade from the pan and pour it over the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag or other container which allows the chicken to be completely covered with the marinade. Chicken should marinate for at least a couple hours. Cover remaining sauce and leave it to cool until the chicken is ready.
3. When chicken has marinated, preheat 2-inches of vegetable oil in a wok or skillet to 350 degrees.
4. Combine corn starch with arrowroot in a small bowl, then add 3 tablespoons ofwater. Stir until corn starch and arrowroot have dissolved. Pour this mixture into the sauce and set the pan over high heat. When sauce begins to bubble and thickens cover and remove from heat.
5. Beat together the ice water and egg in a medium bowl. Add baking soda and salt.
6. Add 314 cup of the flour and stir with a fork just until the flour in blended into the mixture. The batter should still be lumpy.
7. Sprinkle another 114 cup of flour on top of the batter and mix with only one or two strokes. Most of this flour will still floating on top of the mixture. Put the remaining flour (1!2 cup) into a medium bowl.
8. Dip each piece of chicken first into the flour. then into the batter. Let some of the batter drip off and then slide the chicken
into the oil. Fry up to 1!2 of the chicken pieces at a time for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip the chicken over halfway through the cooking time. Remove the chicken to a rack or paper towels to drain.
9. As the chicken cooks, reheat the sauce left covered on the stove. Stir occasionally.
10. When all of the chicken is done, pour it into a large bowl, and cover with the thickened sauce. Stir gently until all of the pieces are well coated
Special House Chow Mein
Makes 6 servings
15 oz Chow Mein Noodles
1/4 cup Vegetable oil, divided
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cup Fresh bean sprouts
1/4 cup Sliced bok choy
1/4 cup Sliced carrot
1/4 cup Sliced green pepper
1/4 cup Sliced celery
2 tbs. Sliced water chestnuts
2 tbs. Slivered bamboo shoots
2 tbs. Sliced canned mushrooms
2 tbs. Slivered onion
1/4 lb. Peeled small shrimp ( 60 to 75 per pound size)
1/4 cup Chopped chicken
1/4 cup Sliced Chinese BBQ pork
1 cup Chicken broth
1 tbs. Cornstarch
1 tsp. Oyster sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/8 ts Salt
Heat wok over high heat, Add 2 tablespoons oil and garlic. Add bean sprouts, bok choy, carrot, green pepper, celery, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, mushrooms and onion to wok. Stir-fry for several minutes over high heat. Add shrimp, chicken and barbecued pork. Continue stir-frying several minutes. Add broth and cover with lid. Cook with lid on for 3
to 4 minutes. Combine Cornstarch with cold water. Stir in oyster sauce, sugar,and salt. Add sauce and noodles to wok. Continue cooking just until sauce thickens about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
1 lb. boneless,skinless chicken(breast or thighs)
2/3 cup sugar -1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
1/4 cup water-4 teaspoonscornstarch.
1. Combine sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, oil, garlic and ginger in a small saucepan. Combine water with cornstarch in a small bowl and stir until dissolved. Add to saucepan and turn heat to high. Stir often while bringing mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 4 to 6 minutes or until sauce is thick. 2. Preheat your grill on high for the chicken.
3. When the grill is hot, rub each chicken piece with oil and cook the chicken for 4 to 6 minutes per side or until done. Chicken should have browned in spots.
4. When chicken is done, chop it into bite-size pieces. Pour the chicken pieces into wok over medium heat. Heat until chicken sizzles then reduce heat and cover chicken until ready to serve. Spoon chicken into a medium bowl, then pour all the sauce over the chicken and stir until well-coated. Serve with steamed white rice.
Serves 4 servings
Chicken with Green Peppers
l Ib.boneless chicken breast, cubed
2 tsps. sherry
1/2 egg white
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 green pepper, seeded and cut into small squares
1/4 lb.mushrooms diced
3 tbsps. oil
2 tsps. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
Method: Mix cubed chicken fillet with 1 tsp. sherry, 1/2 egg white, and I tsp. cornstarch. Heat 5 tbsps. oil in wok and stir- fry chicken until color turns white.Remove chicken to a plate and clean wok.Heat remaining 3 tbsps. oil and fry green peppers and mushrooms for 3 minutes, stirring well during process. Add chicken, salt, sugar , I tsp. wine. Remove from flame and serve hot.
Note: For extra flavor, diced bamboo shoot may be added.